We like to give some quick fire tips for visiting destinations we have visited, so here’s Beijing’s!
So you want to visit Beijing/mainland China 🇨🇳, here are some things to consider:
- Check your route works with the transit visa, you don’t need to go through the costly Chinese visa process if you’re not in China for an extended time period. Luckily there has been a new 24/144 hour transit visa introduced; there are a few rules you and your itinerary need to follow to be eligible but all in all – it’s really straightforward 😁
- Download a VPN. Download a VPN. Download a VPN. I think you get what you need to do…
- Don’t be alarmed if you see bears sat a restaurant table – someone didn’t forget their teddy. The bears are put there so you don’t feel lonely if you’re sitting alone.
- Learn a few phrases, hello or thank you.
- Stay photo ready – if you’re black or have distinct features, local people will stop you for pictures and videos. Sometimes without your permission (!)
- Be prepared for whatever season you’re going. Beijing is very open air, so when it’s hot – you feel all the heat and its quite dry. Same way when its cold, you’ll feel all the cold.
- You can use your travel card to make purchases and get around. Taking out cash isn’t necessary.
- Watch your step. It’s quite common for local people to spit on the ground, so depending on the area you’re in, just look out.
If you’ve been to Beijing/China, what was something you had to bear in mind?
Save and share this if you found it useful. As always, keep up to date with us on @trippinwithsj x